Monday, April 2, 2012

Jack: 2 Months (part 2)

Jack before the 2 month doctor visit

Continued....please refer to previous post for the majority of updates and thoughts regarding Jack and our adjustment as a family.  It's funny how horrible my memory is lately...maybe it's a symptom of juggling so much all at once :) I have all these great ideas of what to write about and poof, they are out of my mind...oh well...they must not have been that good.  Anyway, today was Jack's 2 month appointment.  I had sort of been dreading this appointment for a while now.  Not because of the screams and cries accompanied with shots, but because of my experience with nurses and doctors during Mia's 2 month appointment.  By two months, Mia was essentially sleeping through the night...AMAZING!  However, she was not gaining as much weight as "they" had hoped and the nurse was an absolute B about it.  Feeding in to the negative stereotype of angry disgruntled nurses, she was crabby, authoritative, undermining and quite forceful in her "recommendations" for me and what to do to help my daughter gain more weight.  By the way, Mia was just fine....she was not the hefty baby on the block but she certainly wasn't "failure to thrive".  Plus, I assumed she'd wake up in the middle of the night if she was STARVING...which she wasn't.  Anywho...this B of a nurse hit my weakness and lack of confidence as a new mom and I came home crying thinking I wasn't "enough" for Mia. Blah blah blah, long story short is that I was so stressed out about nursing and going back to work and not feeding my daughter enough that I switched to 100% formula for Mia between 3-4 months old...and felt HORRIBLE about it...then.  So needless to say, I was worried about going in today thinking I would get some similar scolding, even though I dropped that nurse and doctor team like a bad habit, even though I have about 80 ounces of breast milk in the freezer and even though every time Jack eats I can hear him gulping and doing really well with nursing.  Our new doc for the kids is great and she says things that make me feel like a confident and competent mom.

Jack during his 2 month doctor visit...he normally does not look this purple and red :)

Jack was 8lb 3oz at birth and he is now 11lb 7ounces at two months old.  He is 22.5in long and his head is 15.5in.  All that means is that he is pretty average for his age and gender and he is growing and developing right on target, yeah!!!  
After getting his shots...poor baby

Not too happy with me after the shots....silent treatment

Thoughts about going back to work:  By the time Jack is 3 months old, I will have been back to work for just over a week and I imagine I will be adjusting yet again to another huge life/balance shift.  I went in to work last week to get a letter sent out to my clients reminding them of my return...only 3 weeks away.  I love my job and I love my schedule and I am not at all feeling guilt or dread about leaving Jack; however, I do find myself worried about those who will take care of him.  I worry that they won't like him if he's fussy.  I worry that they won't think he is a good baby if he isn't complying with a consistent predictable schedule.  I worry that everyone will love Mia more and forget about Jack.  I know none of this will happen, but it has been on my mind lately as we approach the "countdown" 3 weeks left of leave.  I'm sure everyone will be just fine and they won't "quit him" if he isn't smiling and perfect every day.

Overall Jack is a great kid.  He does very well during the day and is getting more and more chill during the awake hours...now we'll just have to see how/if/or when his nights become a bit more consistent and we all settle in to more of a routine.

1 comment:

  1. OMG I had no idea that the awful nurse was a major reason for you choosing to stop breastfeeding. How do these people get into the healthcare profession and keep their jobs?! How terrible!

    On a positive note, Jack is getting so big! I can't believe how quickly they look like humans and less like alien newborns. He already looks like such a handsome little boy!

    ReplyDelete