Monday, December 12, 2011

From those days to these days..

It has become more and more of a realization for me lately that I am about to become a "new mom" again in less than 2 months.  Several months ago, an old friend of mine wrote a blog about reminiscing about the "good ole days" when we didn't have a care in the world, no responsibilities and could basically do whatever we wanted with little consequences....AKA college and then living abroad :)   There is something about being pregnant that seems to stir up old memories or dreams of my bachelorette-hood and life without obligations or responsibilities; this happened for me when I was pregnant with Mia as well.  I don't like to read in to dreams too much but maybe some of these desires to "go back" in time are because it is more and more apparent that I have chosen (with 100% confidence and excitement) to be a parent for the rest of my life; whereas before, I thrived in the unknown, the risks, the spontaneity, the constant changes and to be honest...the selfishness.

Those days:  I went to class with cash in my pocket to meet my friends at the bar for 4:00 happy hour.
These days:  I immediately leave work most days at 4:00pm to pick my wonderful daughter up at day care and haven't had a good stiff drink since mid-late April.

Those days:  I would pull all nighters to study for a test or get a paper done...sometimes with the assistance (distraction) of friends, music, wine or an outing to Perkins at 2am.
These days:  I plan ahead, make lists, meal plan, get caught up on CEUs months before the deadline and you will almost NEVER catch me awake past 10:00pm.

Those day:  I went to Madison, WI for the legendary Halloween parties dressed as a "Naughty Catholic School Girl" in a skirt that was meant to be for a 7 year old.
These days:  I leave a lame bowl of candy on our porch, take my daughter out in her cupcake costume for a bit and tuck her in between 7-8pm.

Those days:  When living abroad, I would "pop on over" to Paris, Spain, Ireland, etc. for a fun weekend away on a moments notice.
These days:  I schedule and book trips at least 7-10 months in advance to ensure appropriate day care, funding and time off from work.

Those days:  I felt sexy going out in leopard print tight pants, black boots and a skanky tight black top the required no bra.
These days:  I'm feeling pretty hot if I actually shower, shave, put on make up and wear dangle earrings.

Those days:  I was pleased when I made a "home cooked meal" for myself at least once a week.
These days:  I am pleased when I go out to eat once a week.

Those days:  I flirted with and kissed lots of guys because it was fun and "what you did" in college and in your 20s.
These days:  Me flirting with my husband consists of me getting a baby sitter to watch our daughter for the night.

Those days:  I loved playing poker, drinking games and dancing with my friends at the bar.
These days:  I love playing with Mia, watching her learn new skills and dancing with her to her favorite songs in the living room.

Those days:  I wore sexy undies and cute clothes for when I knew I was meeting up with a guy
These days:  I can't even see the underwear I have on because my pregnant belly is so huge.

Those days:  I spent my money on traveling, clothes, gas money to visit friends and "going out".
These days:  I spend my money on groceries, day care, bills, a mortgage and meeting every one's basic needs.

Those days:  I got excited about eventually growing up, getting a job, marrying the man of my dreams and having kids some day.
These days:  I have my health, a job I love and think I am good at, have been happily married for over 5 years to my high school sweetheart, and have one of the best kids I can imagine with another one to arrive late next month.

Reminiscing about old boyfriends, trips, parties, etc is always fun for me and brings a smile to my face.  But those smiles don't come close to the belly laughter and tears of joy I have experiences these past few years becoming a wife and mother.  I certainly have had the best of "both worlds" and am grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment