Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Adult vs. "Grown Up"

When Nate was in Kindergarten, his mother had asked him about his new teacher at school.  Apparently, his teacher was pretty old, grey haired, had glasses and was very close to retirement.  The conversation went something like this:  "Nate, how old is your teacher?"..."She's full grown." Ha!

At a young age, I couldn't wait to be a "grown up" and now I dread the thought that I'm becoming one at 31 years old.  There are things that I laugh at and make fun of my mom, friends or others about thinking "no way am I ever going to get excited about getting dishes for Xmas".  In the past few years, I have gotten excited about getting dishes and this scares me.  I think I am an adult just by definition; however, I do not feel as though I am a "grown up" just yet.  As I became a teenager, teenagers became adults and adults became grown ups...but there are differences between each stage.  Here are some differences I sometimes see...(disclaimer: these are just meant to be funny and this is not at all an exhaustive list)

Adults: Use leftover paper products for whatever occasion comes next (birthday plates for Halloween)...why waste the plates and who really cares?
Grown Ups:  Set the table, use cloth napkins and use matching "non-plastic" plates, bowls, side plates, glasses and have all essential silverware...even if it isn't essential.
Adults:  Drink beer out of a can or use a can coozie
Grown Ups: Pour beer in to a pint glass that had already sitting in the freezer for at least an hour before guests arrived
Adults:  Send email thank you letters or cards because A=why waste on postage and B=do people really still need thank you cards when we already said thank you at least 2 times already?
Grown Ups:  Hand write thank you cards in cursive and also send a thank you card for a thank you card acknowledging how thoughtful and nice the first thank you card was.
Adults:  Bring all brush, leaves and remnants of fall to the local compost
Grown Ups: Save pine cones, leaves, flowers and sand for scrapbooks, keepsakes and potpourri
Adults:  Save gift bags and boxes for future holidays
Grown Ups:  Save gift bags, boxes, bows, name tags, tape, rubber bands, streamers, tissue paper and cut holiday cards in half to use the "front" as a card for next year
Adults:  Use funny coasters with quizzes, sayings or conversation starters on them
Grown Ups:  Use coasters or doilies on top of table clothes for "extra" safety
Adults:  Avoid using centerpieces at the table because it wastes space for the food
Grown Ups:  Pick flowers, arrange leaves and rocks, set candles and family pictures leaving little to no room for the food
Adults:  Take short cuts in life (literally a figuratively) to speed or move things along
Grown Ups:  Enjoy the journey, take their time and are unaware that there is a short cut
Adults:  Get a massage when they need one
Grown Ups:  Use tennis balls on the walls of their home and carry a ball in their purse or car just in case
Adults:  Write blogs or nothing at all
Grown Ups:  Journal or type their thoughts than print them out and put them in a three ringed binder
Adults:  Manage their banking online
Grown Ups:  Balance their check book by hand and save receipts
Adults:  Go on winery or brewery tours (or brew their own)
Grown Ups:  Sever boxed wine on sale and then attend a holiday play
Adults:  Drink Pinot Noir
Grown Ups:  Drink White Zin
Adults:  Go "nuts" by venturing out for a bar hopping night and taking a stripper pole dancing class
Grown Ups:  Go "nuts" by ordering a Cosmo and eating sushi
Adults:  Wear Smart Wool, comfy yoga pants and zip up hoodies
Grown Ups:  Wear the Snuggie or similar home network purchases
Adults:  Vacuum
Grown Ups:  Dust the house then vacuum
Adults:  Wear ugly sweaters to a party as a joke
Grown Ups:  Wear ugly sweaters to a party

There are many more examples I can see...I just can't recall all of them right now.  Please, add to the list so we all can laugh a bit on this gloomy day.  I think am still pretty safe in the adult zone; however, I do have some tendencies to dabble in the grown up behaviors once in a while.  One is not better or worse..they are just different ways of living life and that's okay.  Which one are you?  An adult or a grown up?

2 comments:

  1. a) Hilarious.

    b) You are clearly an adult, because grown-ups vacuum THEN dust (after all the dust vacuuming creates)

    c) Is making a list grown-up or adult? cause I love it.

    d) I think adults like keeping most phone conversations short and sweet, while grown-ups still talk really LOUD when either party is on a mobile phone.

    e)Adults still longing for thier teenage years: watch So you think you can Dance. Grown-ups longing for thier Adult years watch: Dancing with the Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say that my mom gets down on her hands and knees and washes her floors every MONTH. I've done this zero times in the 5 years we've lived here, and I guess that makes me an adult and not a grown up. Pretty sure I'll never be a grown up, until the rules for the categories change that is.

    ReplyDelete